Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Beginning...

So, I am sitting here contemplating the current state of my career as an educator and am not pleased. I have been teaching for about 6 years and my heart isn't in it. I'd rather leave than do a disservice to anyone's child. Not to mention the state of the FL educational system.

Ok, first things first...find a school.  Sounds simple enough.  I begin my search online and find LPN programs at a couple of public (low cost) schools- Miami Lakes Tech, McFatter Tech, Miami Dade College.  I also find several private (career college=more $$$) schools- Keiser Career College, Dade Medical College, Florida National College and several others not mentioned here since I did not seek any information from them.

Being proactive, I strike out the next morning- 1st stop: Miami Lakes Tech.  I sit down with a counselor (he's really not a people person) and the information I need.  Not really feeling the school for various reasons, but mainly for condescending counselor (he was quite short and seem bothered by my presence) and the year long wait list.

As I am heading home from MLT, a rep from Keiser calls me.  I am literally driving past the school while I am on the phone.  He agrees to see me in as much time as it takes me to make a u-turn and park.  The couselor and I go into a small meeting room and he proceeds to gather a little background info on me (education, program desired, previous career, etc) then he proceeds to give me his pitch for the MLM business that he runs.  He lets me know that he'll be out of there in less than a year and that if I signed up with him I could use the money to pay for school.  (IS. HE. SERIOUS!!) Sales pitch concluded I take 1 of 2 entrance exams and pay for and schedule the second (TEAS) test. 

I head home feeling convinced that I have found the school that I would like to attend, despite the back-room hustle that the admissions rep tried to pitch. 

Step 2...convince hubby and family that I am serious about this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment